MASTER TREAD TRAINER COURSES:
Tread Lightly!®’s Master Tread Trainer™ (MTT) course is an intensive 1-day workshop designed to provide an in-depth look at outdoor ethics focusing on motorized and mechanized recreation on both land and water. Participation in the course qualifies individuals to present the Tread Lightly! message consistently to others in their state or region. Participants will work with Tread Lightly! staff on understanding the role outdoor ethics play in the recreation community, learn the Tread Lightly! principles of responsible recreation, develop an action plan for outreach in their community, and be provided with the tools to conduct a variety of learning opportunities including training Tread Trainers through an 8 hour course.
The key to a successful workshop is to have participants that are familiar with Tread Lightly!, involved in community outreach, recreational training programs or natural resource management and are interested in developing a high awareness and competency in outdoor ethics. Participants should have some background in outdoor education or presentation skills and be well-grounded in the Tread Lightly! principles. It is highly recommended that participants complete a Tread Trainer or other outdoor ethics training prior to taking the Master Tread Trainer course. The MTT course is an intensive one-day workshop that requires participants to complete pre-course assignments, develop and present assigned components of the Tread Trainer course and actively participate throughout the course.
See a Sample Course Agenda
A Master Tread Trainer’s responsibilities include:
- Have a current Tread Lightly! membership.
- Host at least one Tread Trainer course within two years of their initial training date.
- Present the Tread Lightly! message to interested groups.
- Provide timely reporting using our online reporting form.
- Act as a Tread Lightly! volunteer representative for an area/region.
- Demonstrate exemplary recreation behavior.
A Master Tread Trainer’s experience includes:
- Completed a Master Tread Trainer course provided by Tread Lightly! staff.
- Pass the Master Tread Trainer Qualification Exam with a score of 80% or better.
- Extensive knowledge about Tread Lightly! principles and their application to specific recreation activities.
- Ability to train others on Tread Lightly! principles and their practical application.
- Ability to train others on teaching techniques and activity ideas.
Trainers receive a hard-copy of the Tread Trainer manual, Master Tread Trainer kit including $65 of free education materials per year, Tread Lightly! flash drive, Certificate of Completion, TREAD Principles hangtags and a 20% discount on all Tread Lightly! materials in the Tread Lightly! online store.
Master Tread Trainers also receive access to digital files containing:
- Tread Trainer Manual
- Tread Lightly! PowerPoint presentations and training resources
- Tips for Responsible Recreation
Trainers also receive improvements in presentation skills, networking opportunities with other agencies/organizations at the course, expertise in Tread Lightly! ethics and ways to minimize outdoor impacts when recreating, use of the display upon request, updates through a semi-annual newsletter, emails and website.
*Cancellations and Refunds:
A full refund may be granted if requested more than 30 days from the course AND the cancellation will not result in total attendance falling below 8 participants. Refunds made within 30 days of the course will be granted on a case-by-case basis. No refund will be provided for no-shows. Course fees are transferable with written approval from Tread Lightly!
Click here to request a Master Tread Trainer Course in your area. Requests must be made within 3 months of preferred date and can be made up to 12 months in advance. Due to limited funding Tread Lightly! cannot accommodate every request.